Pray without ceasing.
1 Thessalonians 5:17
Sometimes I’m overwhelmed by this Scripture, because honestly, I’ve never felt like a really good “pray-er” — I don’t have as much structure and discipline as I think I should have, or maybe that’s just my devilish perfectionism rising up. But prayer is just talking to God, keeping company with our Daddy and Friend. Here are some ways to get yourself in an attitude of prayer more often throughout your day. And, perfectionism aside, I think that they “count” as fellowship with God!
- Wear a dangle ring as a reminder to pray or say Scripture. When you notice it dangling and annoying you, do it!
- Make a Scripture, attribute of God, or special reminder your logon password. Jeremiah 29:11; God is love; Jehovah Jireh, etc.
- Put Post-it notes or index cards in handy spots to remind you of whatever reminder you need, or to help you memorize Scripture.
- Keep a devotional or journal in the car. When you’re stuck at a train or waiting for an appointment, catch up.
- On a car trip, play the alphabet game, but take it a step further and add something about God’s character to each letter. A– God is ALWAYS with us. B– BEFORE the world was created, God was there. C– CAST your CARES on God, for he CARES for you. (triple points!)
So commit yourselves wholeheartedly to these words of mine. Tie them to your hands and wear them on your forehead as reminders. Teach them to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are on the road, when you are going to bed and when you are getting up. Write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates, so that as long as the sky remains above the earth, you and your children may flourish in the land the LORD swore to give your ancestors. Deuteronomy 11: 18-21
If we want to walk with the Lord, we must make conscious, continual choices to choose Him over whatever is grabbing our attention at any given time. What do you do to help you keep your mind on Heavenly things?